This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The Guayas is a sail training ship of the Ecuadorian Navy. Launched in 1976 it was named in jointly in honor of Chief Guayas, the Guayas river, and Guayas, the first steamship that was constructed in South America in 1841 and is displayed on the Ecuadorian coat of arms. The ship’s home base is Guayaquil, Ecuador.
The Guayas is a three-masted barque with a steel hull that can display a sailing area of 1,410 square metres (15,200 sq ft).[2] The main mast reaches 38 metres (124 ft 8 in) over deck. The ship carries a crew of about 120 sailors as well as eighty cadets under the leadership of about 35 officers. The Guayas is one of four sailing ships that were built by Astilleros Celaya S.A. in Bilbao, the Gloria (Colombia) being the most similar ship,- the other two sister ships are the Simón Bolívar (Venezuela), and the Cuauhtémoc (Mexico). These four ships present a basic design that is very similar to Blohm & Voss’ Gorch Fock that was built more than four decades earlier.

Advertisements

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

INS Tarangini is a three-masted barque, commissioned in 1997 as a sail training ship for the Indian Navy. She is square rigged on the fore and main masts and fore-and-aft rigged on the mizzen mast. She was constructed in Goa to a design by the British naval architect Colin Mudie, and launched on 1 December 1995. In 2003-04, she became the first Indian naval ship to circumnavigate the globe.

Apart from races, the ship sails extensively across the Indian Ocean region for the purpose of providing sail training experience to the officer cadets of the Indian Navy. The Indian Navy believes that training onboard these ships is the best method of instilling among the trainees the “indefinable ‘sea-sense’ and respect for elements of nature, which are inseparable from safe and successful seafaring”. The Navy believes that sail training also serves to impart the values of courage, camaraderie, endurance and esprit-de-corps among budding naval officers


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Kruzenshtern or Krusenstern (Russian: Барк Крузенштерн) is a four-masted barque and tall ship that was built in 1926 at Geestemünde in Bremerhaven, Germany as the Padua. She was surrendered to the USSR in 1946 as war reparation and renamed after the early 19th century Baltic German explorer in Russian service, Adam Johann Krusenstern (1770–1846). She is now a Russian sail training ship. Of the four remaining Flying P-Liners, the former Padua is the only one still in use, mainly for training purposes, with her home ports in Kaliningrad (formerly Königsberg) and Murmansk. After the Sedov, another former German ship, she is the largest traditional sailing vessel still in operation. cargo ship (1926–46); survey ship & training ship (1961–65); training ship 1965–present
Tonnage: 3,064 GRT (as Padua)
Length: 114.4 m (375 ft)
Beam: 14.02 m (46.0 ft)
Height: 51.3 m (168 ft)
Draught: 6.8 m (22 ft)


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Alexander von Humboldt II is a German sailing ship built as a replacement for the ship Alexander von Humboldt, which had been launched in 1906 and used for sail training since 1988. Constructed by Brenn- und Verformtechnik (BVT) in Bremen, the new ship was launched in 2011. Just like her predecessor, the Alexander von Humboldt II is operated by Deutsche Stiftung Sail Training in Bremerhaven which offers sail training for persons between 14 and 75 years of age. source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
General characteristics
Type: three-masted steel barque
Tonnage: 763 GT/228 NT
Displacement: 992 tons
Length: 65 m (213 ft)
Beam: 10 m (33 ft)
Draft: 4.7 m (15 ft)
Installed power: 749 hp (559 kW)
Propulsion: Sail; auxiliary Diesel engine
Sail plan: 24 sails; 1,360 m2 (14,600 sq ft) sail area
Complement: 79


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Belem is a three-masted Barque
She was originally a cargo ship, transporting sugar from the West Indies, cocoa, and coffee from Brazil and French Guiana to Nantes, France. By chance she escaped the eruption of the Mount Pelée in Saint-Pierre de la Martinique on 8 May 1902. All Saint Pierre roads were full of vessels, no place to anchor the ship. Captain Julien Chauvelon angrily decided to anchor some miles further on in a beach – sheltered from the exploding volcano.

She was sold in 1914 to Hugh Grosvenor, 2nd Duke of Westminster, who converted her to his private luxurious pleasure yacht, complete with two auxiliary Bolinder Diesel engines 300 HP each.

In 1922 she became the property of the beer baron Sir Arthur Ernest Guinness, who renamed her the Fantôme II (French spelling) and revised the rig from a square rigger. Hon. A.E. Guinness was Rear Commodore of the Royal St. George Yacht Club, in Kingstown, Ireland from 1921-1939. He was Vice Commodore from 1940- 1948. Hon. A.E. Guinness took the Fântome II on a great cruise in 1923 with his daughters Aileen, Maureen, and Oonagh. They sailed the seven seas in making a travel round the world via the Panama and Suez Canals including a visit to Spitsbergen. During her approach to Yokohama harbour while sailing the Pacific Ocean the barque managed to escape another catastrophe – an earthquake which destroyed the harbour and parts of Yokohama city. Hon. Arthur E. Guinness died in 1949. The ‘Fantome’ was moored in the roads of Cowes, Isle of Wight.

In 1951 she was sold to the Venezian count Vittorio Cini, who named her the Giorgio Cini after his son, who had died in a plane crash near Cannes on 31 August 1949 . She was rigged to a barkentine and used as a sail training ship until 1965, when she was considered too old for further use and was moored at the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice.

In 1972 the Italian carabinieri attempted to restore her to the original barque rig. When this proved too expensive, she became the property of the shipyard. In 1976 the ship was re-rigged to a barque.

Finally, in January 1979, she came back to her home port as the Belem under tow by a French seagoing tug, flying the French flag after 65 years. Fully restored to her original condition, she began a new career as a sail training ship.
source: wikipedia
Current specifications of the Belem
406 tons and 51 m of length.
Riveted steel keel (for older parts).
Iron sheet : 11 mm.
Ballast in hull : 4,500 pig irons of 50 kg each.
Hull length without bowsprit : 51 m.
Bowsprit length : 7 m.
Extreme length: 58 m.
Waterline length : 48 m.
Midship width: 8.80 m.
Moulded depth: 4.60 m.
Draught : 3.60 m.
B.R.T. : 534 tons.
Displacement : 750 tons.
Masting – Rigging
Steel masts in 2 parts (lower mast, topmast).
Main mast height above waterline level : 34 m.
Lower yards in steel, top gallant and royal yards in wood.
About 220 points of running-rigging.
About 250 simple-blocks, double-blocks and triple-blocks.
4500 m of running-rigging in polyamid rope.
Sails
Number of sails : 22.
Sail area : 1000,5 m² (all above, without storm sail).
Crewmen
16 men: – 1 captain, – 1 chief officer, – 2 lieutenants, – 1 chief engineer, – 2 cooks, – 1 boatswain, – 1 carpenter, – 7 yardmen (two from the French National Service until 2000).
Personal management by la Société Nantaise de Navigation.
Maximum number of trainees: 48 (two watches of 24, divided in third of 16).


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Halve Maen (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈɦɑlvə maːn]; English: Half Moon) was a Dutch East India Company vlieboot (similar to a carrack) which sailed into what is now New York Harbor in September 1609. She was commissioned by the VOC Chamber of Amsterdam in the Dutch Republic to covertly find a western passage to China. The ship was captained by Henry Hudson, an Englishman in the service of the Dutch Republic. In 1909, the Kingdom of the Netherlands presented the United States with a replica of Halve Maen in order to commemorate the 300th anniversary of Hudson’s voyage; the replica was destroyed in a 1934 fire. Eighty years later, the New Netherland Museum commissioned a second replica.

Halve Maen sailed from Amsterdam to the Arctic, turning westward to traverse the Atlantic Ocean, then sailed from Newfoundland to the south in search of the Northwest Passage. In 1618, or a few years after, the ship was destroyed during an English attack on Jakarta in the Dutch East Indies.

In his 1625 book New World, which contains invaluable extracts from Hudson’s lost journal, Johannes de Laet, a director of the West India Company, writes that they “bent their course to the south until, running south-southwest and southwest by south, they again made land in latitude 41° 43’, which they supposed to be an island, and gave it the name of New Holland, but afterwards discovered that it was Cape Cod”. From there they sailed south to the Chesapeake Bay and then went north along the coast navigating first the Delaware Bay and, subsequently, the bay of the river which Hudson named the Mauritius River, for Holland’s Lord-Lieutenant Maurits. Halve Maen sailed up Hudson’s river as far as the present day location of Albany, New York, where the crew determined the water was too narrow and too shallow for farther progress. Concluding then that the river was also not a passage to the west, Hudson exited the river, naming the natives that dwelled on either side of the Mauritius estuary the Manahata. Leaving the estuary, he sailed north-eastward, never realizing that what are now the islands of Manhattan and Long Island were islands, and crossed the Atlantic to England where he sailed into Dartmouth harbor with the Dutch East India Company ship and crew.

A second replica of Halve Maen (officially Anglicized as Half Moon) was constructed in Albany, New York in 1989 by the New Netherland Museum. The museum contracted with Nicholas S. Benton to design and build the replica. Mr. Benton, a master ship-rigger and shipwright. In 1989 replica of the Halve Maen docked in the Hudson River at Albany, New York
The year 2009 marked the 400th anniversary of Halve Maen’s voyage. For the anniversary, the crown prince of the Netherlands and his wife were on board. The replica ship sailed until 2015 in and around the Hudson River. In April 2015 the ship was tranported on loan to the Netherlands. It is located at the West Frisian Ship Museum in Hoorn and open to the public at a permanent mooring at the Oostereiland at the Centre Sailing Heritage.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.


MpathyMarriage150322_104952-DSC_4838-ANIMATIONMpathyMarriage150315_185606-DSC_4570-ANIMATIONMpathyMarriage150315_190858-DSC_4636-ANIMATION


This slideshow requires JavaScript.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The main Pelaminan in other room is for the purpose that all the invited guest can congratulate on the marriage. This celebration will last the rest of the day until around 2 or 3 pm. The bride’s parents as well as the women (relative, certain guests) would feed the bride to-be with this Aceh traditional culinary (Bue Lekat Kuneng).
The traditional main Pelaminan will be decorated with the typical colors of Aceh: a combination of red, yellow and green.
Items for the Peusijuk are a bowl of water, certain leaves and flowers.