Tag Archive: Empathy Memory Sail Amsterdam



The ARC Gloria is a three-masted barque. She is a training ship and official flagship of the Colombian Navy. The Colombian Government authorized its navy to acquire a training ship in 1966. A contract was signed with the Spanish shipyard Celaya of Bilbao in October 1966, and began to be fulfilled in April 1967. The ship was commissioned on 7 September 1968 with the vessel moored at the wharf of Deusto Channel.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The ship’s name is a reference to the national anthem, Oh gloria inmarcesible (O Unfading Glory).

Advertisements

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

NRP Sagres (1937) is a steel-built three masted barque, with square sails on the fore and main masts and gaff rigging on the mizzen mast. Her main mast rises 42 m above the deck. She carries 22 sails totaling about 2,000 m² (21,000 ft²) and can reach a top speed of 17 knots (31 km/h) under sail. She has a sparred length of 89 m (295 ft), a width of 12 m (40 ft), a draught of 5.2 m (17 ft), and a displacement at full load of 1,755 tons.



Dar Młodzieży (“The Gift of Youth”) is a Polish sail training ship designed by Zygmunt Choreń. A prototype of a class of six, the following five slightly-differing units were built subsequently by the same shipyard for the merchant fleet of the former Soviet Union. Her sister ships are Mir, Druzhba, Pallada, Khersones and Nadezhda.

The ship was launched in November 1981 at the Gdańsk shipyard, Poland, and commissioned for service in July 1982 at Gdynia, thus replacing her forerunner Dar Pomorza. Her home port is Gdynia. The Dar Młodzieży is the first Polish-built, ocean-going sailing vessel to circumnavigate the globe (1987–88), thus repeating the famous voyage of her predecessor (1934–35).


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

STS Sedov, formerly the Magdalene Vinnen II and the Kommodore Johnsen, is a 4-masted steel barque that for almost 80 years was the largest traditional sailing ship in operation.
Order your photography course: http://actusail.biedmeer.nl/Webwinkel-Product-5292417/Photography-Course.html


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Götheborg is a sailing replica of an 18th-century Swedish East Indiaman and the world’s largest operational wooden sailing vessel. All sailors survived when the original ship sank off Gothenburg, Sweden, on 12 September 1745, while approaching the harbour on her return from a third voyage to China. Construction of the replica started in 1995, with the hull launched in 2003, and the rig fully tested for the first time in 2005.

Type: Sailing vessel
Tonnage: 788 GT
166 DWT
Length: 58 m (190 ft 3 in) (inc. bowsprit)
40.9 m (134 ft 2 in) o/a
40.55 m (133 ft 0 in) p/p
Beam: 11 m (36 ft 1 in)
Draught: 4.95 m (16 ft 3 in)
Depth: 6.75 m (22 ft 2 in)
Decks: 3
Installed power: 2 × 180 kW (241 hp) Volvo Penta 103 generators
Propulsion: 2 × 550 hp (410 kW) Volvo Penta diesel engines 36,000 l (9,500 US gal) of fuel
2 shafts
Sail plan: Full-rigged ship Sail area: 1,964 m2 (21,140 sq ft)
Crew: 80 (20 professional & 60 volunteers)
Armament: 10 × long guns

The Swedish East India Company was established on 14 June 1731, to trade in East Asia. The company followed the Portuguese, Dutch, Danish, French and English East India Companies. Situated in Gothenburg, the company secured a 15-year monopoly on far eastern trade, exchanging Swedish timber, tar, iron and copper for tea, porcelain and silk. The company existed for 82 years and its vessels made 131 voyages using 37 different ships. Even though the company in the end went bankrupt, it made enormous profits during most of its years in operation and influenced the history of Sweden in several ways.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

These ships represent the great Sailing Heritage of Holland. Check also the Goudse Glorie Havendagen. De Federatie Varend Erfgoed Nederland (FVEN) is de koepel van behoudsorganisaties. De FVEN (voorheen FONV) behartigt de gemeenschappelijke belangen van de behoudsorganisaties, en coördineert en stimuleert activiteiten die van belang zijn voor het Varend Erfgoed. Daarnaast faciliteert de koepel de behoudsorganisaties, waaronder de registratie van het Nederlands Varend Erfgoed.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Esmeralda is the 6th tallship with this name. In 1950 Chile and Spain entered into negotiations in which Spain offered to repay debts incurred to Chile as a result of the Spanish Civil War in the form of manufactured products, including the not yet completed Esmeralda. Chile accepted the offer and the ship was formally transferred to the ownership of Chile in 1951. Work then continued on the ship. She was finally launched on 12 May 1953. She was christened by Mrs. Raquel Vicuña de Orrego using a bottle wrapped in the national colors of Spain and Chile. She was delivered as a four-masted topsail schooner to the Government of Chile on 15 June 1954, Captain Horacio Cornejo Tagle in command. Her sister ship is the training ship for the Spanish Navy, the four-masted topsail schooner Juan Sebastián Elcano. Sometime in the 1970s Esmeralda’s rigging was changed to a four-masted barquentine by replacing the fore gaffsail (course sail) by two main staysails. The third (top) main staysail is still in place. She has now five staysails, three topsails, six jibbs, three course gaff sails, four square sails, 21 all in all. Reports from Amnesty International, the US Senate and Chilean Truth and Reconciliation Commission describe the ship as a kind of a floating jail and torture chamber for political prisoners of the Augusto Pinochet regime from 1973 to 1980. It is claimed that probably over a hundred persons were kept there at times and subjected to hideous treatment.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Europa is a steel-hulled barque registered in the Netherlands. Originally it was a German lightship, named Senator Brockes and built in 1911 at the H.C. Stülcken & Sohn shipyard in Hamburg, Germany. Until 1977, it was in use by the German Federal Coast Guard as a lightship on the river Elbe. A Dutchman bought the vessel (or what was left of her) in 1985 and in 1994 she was fully restored as a barque, a three-mast rigged vesse
Type: Three-masted steel barque
Tonnage: 303 GT
Length: 56 m (184 ft)
Beam: 7.5 m (25 ft)
Height: 33 m (108 ft)
Draught: 3.8 m (12 ft)
Installed power: 2 × 365 HP Caterpillar 6-cyl. Diesel
Propulsion: Sail; auxiliary Diesel engine
Sail plan: 30 sails (incl. 6 studding sails; 1,250 m2 (13,500 sq ft) sail area
Speed: 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph)


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The Guayas is a sail training ship of the Ecuadorian Navy. Launched in 1976 it was named in jointly in honor of Chief Guayas, the Guayas river, and Guayas, the first steamship that was constructed in South America in 1841 and is displayed on the Ecuadorian coat of arms. The ship’s home base is Guayaquil, Ecuador.
The Guayas is a three-masted barque with a steel hull that can display a sailing area of 1,410 square metres (15,200 sq ft).[2] The main mast reaches 38 metres (124 ft 8 in) over deck. The ship carries a crew of about 120 sailors as well as eighty cadets under the leadership of about 35 officers. The Guayas is one of four sailing ships that were built by Astilleros Celaya S.A. in Bilbao, the Gloria (Colombia) being the most similar ship,- the other two sister ships are the Simón Bolívar (Venezuela), and the Cuauhtémoc (Mexico). These four ships present a basic design that is very similar to Blohm & Voss’ Gorch Fock that was built more than four decades earlier.